domingo, 25 de enero de 2015

Starbuck

This is the story of a man who donated a lot of sperm during his youth, finds out -20 years later- that he's the father of 533 children, 142 of which want to meet him. No one knows his real name, they just know the nickname he gave every time he donated: Starbuck.

It might sound weird, but yeah, this was enough for me to become interested in this movie. I wasn't entirely sure if I was going to like it, but I definitely wanted to give it a chance, and I'm so glad I did.

I didn't have any kind of expectations for this movie, I decided not to watch the trailer or read reviews before I watched it. Well, I was expecting it to be a comedy, that's for sure, and some part of me thought that it would be one of those movies that push the funny too far, if that makes any sense. I thought that, given the topic, it would be kind of... ehm... it hurts me to mention these movies, but the kind of "American Pie" fun/amusement/comedy, and that stopped me - until I found out that the movie is Canadian, which made my brain go blank because I don't recall having watched any Canadian movies, so the expectations bar went back to 0.

I found it to be a very, very sweet movie, the comedy/funny parts weren't obvious/forced, they were just little things that make you chuckle or smile. And for me it had beautiful messages. David's (Starbuck) friend and lawyer, finally wins a case and shows his mum that he can do it, that he's not useless. And the portrayal of their relationship I found it to be realistic and just great in general. The relationship that David has with his brothers, and with his dad, how he (little spoiler) manages to turn his life around thanks to the truth. How all of his children meet and find a beautiful and peculiar family.

I don't know, it had so many things that I loved. Quick mention to the actors' and actresses' skills, specially the main character, well done. I didn't lose the interest at any point (which is something that lately has been hard for me to achieve), even if it's almost two hours long.

And... right now I don't know what else to add, I just think it's a great movie that I wouldn't mind watching again. I probably will watch it again in a few months.

I leave you here the trailer of the movie, but you should bear in mind that the "vibe" that is going to give you, is very, very different from the actual movie "vibe". The trailer leaves you with the feeling that it's just another comedy, and the movie is completely not just another comedy.

I hope you enjoy it if you decide to watch it!



Recommended / Bah / Not recommended

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario